Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Wow Waters

During the last semester of school, I became a two-pot-of-coffee-a-day kind of woman. I knew it wasn't healthy, but I didn't have the time to think about it. Now I've finally been spit out on the bank of Summer Vacation, and I must begin drinking more healthy options. At least after the morning pot is gone.

I also, thanks to The Produce Gathering, have a lot of citrus fruit hanging around my house. I love the idea of fresh squeezed orange juice and fresh lemonade, but the citrus likes my stomach less than coffee. However, instead of trading the beautiful grapefruit for someone else's broccoli, I've found a solution that also addresses my "what to drink?" problem.

I made homemade lemonade the other day for the family, and when I wandered thirsty into the kitchen about 1:00, I had an aha moment: add a bit of lemonade to a plain cup of water. Genius! It was lemony and refreshing without completely eroding the lining of my stomach! Two summers ago, I was wild about infused waters, and now I am brimming with ideas.

Ades. Why do we stop at lemonade and limeade? What about orangeade and grapefruitade (which I happen to be enjoying RIGHT NOW). Granted, this option has a small amount of sugar, but I guarantee it is better than any soda. Consider it a gateway option to healthier drinking.




My Grapefruitade

1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup very warm water
1 grapefruit
1 cup ice
3 cups water
3 sprigs of mint

Place the sugar in the bottom of your pitcher. Traditional lemonade has 1/2 cup of sugar, but I'm trying to cut down on it. Add very warm water and stir until sugar dissolves. I don't use boiling water because my pitcher is plastic, and that's just not recommended. Juice the grapefruit and dump in as much of the pulp as you like (for me, that means all of it). Add ice, water, and mint. The mint will take time to ooze out its flavor, but that makes it more fun for later.

I am now enjoying my second glass.

Infused water.
This is incredibly easy to make, and there are a thousand recipes online. Cut fruit, place it in the bottom of a pitcher, with maybe a few sprigs of something, and let it sit in the frig overnight. I bought a pitcher recently with a built-in infuser, which I would not recommend. It looks cool, but if the pitcher isn't full, it's not infusing. Fruit in the bottom will continue to add flavor.
In the photo, you can see my infused water with orange, strawberry, mint, and basil. I could only fit one berry and half an orange in the infuser; I would have used twice that amount in a plain pitcher. I will like take out the infuser in the future. Just wanted you to see the option (don't buy it!).

Infused water has no added sugar, no pulp swirling in the bottom of your glass.

The next time I make salsa, I'm going to save a slice of jalapeno to infuse. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Aqua fresca. This treat can be made two ways: mash ripe fruit and press through a sieve, or process in a blender and then strain. The fresh juice is added to water with sometimes a little sugar. The drink is often enjoyed in Mexico, where they will sometimes include edible flowers. Melons, papaya, and mangoes are all perfect for frescas. I have none of those on hand, but if the children stay out of them, I'm going to let the strawberries from last Saturday's basket ripen and have Strawberry Fresca later this week. If you garnish it with fresh fruit, it feels decadent and looks like a special event--a good replacement for afternoon coffee. Click here for six recipes with a Mexican flare, including one grain-based fresca. You can find plenty others through a quick on-line search!

Now I will pour myself a third glass of grapefruitade and fold some laundry.





No comments:

Post a Comment