Sunday, July 27, 2014

Homemade rotel

This recipe is a great way to use up summer produce. It is easy and freezes well. It probably cans well too, but I don't can. Yet. I've adapted it from a larger recipe because it suits me to work in small batches. The recipe was originally four times every ingredient.

1 lb. tomatoes (my romas weigh about 2 oz each, so I used 8), diced
3 jalapenos, diced (deseed if you want less heat)
1/4 tsp. salt

Place in a saucepan. When tomatoes boil, reduce heat and let simmer until a thickness you like. This batch took me 60-90 minutes. It's so pretty when it starts; it's tasty when it's done.

My saucepan might be a little small, but it cooks way down.


This recipe yields a cup and a half. One cup is the equivalent of a small can of Rotel that you buy at the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment