Monday, July 21, 2014

Chicken and kale enchiladas

I adapted this recipe from Barbells and Bellinis--in fact, I adapted it so much, I needed to rewrite it entirely. I made it with ingredients I had on hand. No guarantee I'll ever be able to repeat! My recipe made an 8x8 pan of enchiladas.

For the filling...

Saute kale (I had about 2 cups) in olive oil. Toss with 1-1/4 cup Mexican chicken (a staple in my freezer). Saute half of a large onion (again in olive oil) and add to the mix. Stir in about 1/2 cup cheese (your pick).

Meanwhile, for the top...

Saute 5 chopped roma tomatoes in (you guessed it) olive oil. Season with cumin, garlic powder, oregano, and a generous amount of chili powder. Let the liquid cook down on a lower temperature while you roll the enchiladas.

Spread the bottom of an 8x8 pan with salsa verde (another staple I keep on hand). Divide the filling among six tortillas. Roll and place seam side down in the dish. I place a small saucepan lid on the top if they try to unroll.

Smother the enchiladas with sauce. I placed the tomato sauce that I concocted over half the pan and salsa verde over the other half, so that each enchilada is half red, half green.

Cover with foil. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, top with cheese, and bake another 5-10 minutes. I used queso fresca and mozzarella--you can pick whatever cheese you like. I was very hungry, so I clipped the initial baking time by about ten minutes.

Feeds 4 people (1-1/2 enchiladas apiece). Goes well with salad and Spanish rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment