Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Sweet Pepper Skillet

I love the concept of using what I have, which is where this recipe springs from. I often have a lot of sweet peppers about, and my family just doesn't munch them fast enough. Therefore, to use them up, I throw them in the skillet with other handy veggies and voilĂ , a dinner is born. Great for summer weather when you don't want to use the oven.

To make this skillet, I have quantified my ingredients per person. If you are cooking for two, use two of everything. If you are cooking for five, multiply by five. All recipes are just standards to depart from, right? But this one is like a lesson in how to make a good dinner. My mind immediately conjures up substitutions that would also make a lovely meal. Please share if you have any yummy alterations!

1 T. olive oil*
1 slice onion
1 clove garlic
1-2 small sweet peppers, any color, but a variety is nice
1/4 c. cooked chicken**
1/2 c. washed spinach
1/4 tsp. ground sage
1/4 tsp. ground coriander
dash pepper
salt to taste
1/2 c. cooked quinoa or rice

Heat oil. Sauté onion, garlic, and peppers until soft and a little brown. Toss in chicken and seasonings. Stir. Toss in spinach and stir until wilted. Serve with rice or quinoa (which I sometimes stir in at the end, just for simplicity).

*I would imagine you could use coconut oil, but I haven't tried yet.
**I keep cooked chicken in the freezer all the time, diced in 1 or 2 cup measurements, for just such a recipe as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment