Friday, July 19, 2013

Stuffed peppers with sausage

In all my cooking years, I have stuffed peppers with hamburger (etc.), and I've always eaten them with ketchup. Or basted them with some kind of Italian sauce. These peppers are yummy just the way they pop out of the oven. And I don't precook the peppers. Whoopee, simplicity!

1 c. cooked rice or quinoa
2 large green bell peppers
1 medium onion, diced
olive oil
8 oz. sausage, browned (I usually keep cooked sausage in the freezer, for just this kind of recipe)
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. crushed oregano
salt & pepper
1/4 c. shredded mozzarella

Cut off the tops of the peppers and clean out the seeds. Dice the pepper tops. Sauté onion and pepper tops in olive oil. I sometimes throw in some diced carrot. It's pretty, and I like carrot. Stir sausage and seasonings into skillet. Place peppers in a small casserole dish and stuff with skillet contents. I always have some filling leftover, so I scoop it into a ramekin or small oven-proof bowl and bake it along with the peppers. I like that kind of thing for a lunch when I'm home alone.

Bake peppers at 375 for 30 minutes. Top with mozzarella and bake an additional 10 minutes. Complete dinner in one dish!

Serves 2-ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment